#UMassDBelieves | Write for a Prize!
Now that you’ve written your belief statement, we enthusiastically invite you to develop your ideas more fully to submit to the Provost’s Essay Contest. You’ve done all the hard work of formulating your belief statement, so take advantage of this exciting opportunity to receive recognition from the Provost by developing your post into a personal essay!
- Revise and expand your belief statement into an original and insightful 500-word essay that describes your experience and the values gained.
- Remember, your audience is your incoming class, as well as the UMassD Community at large, so you will need to be thoughtful, unique, and descriptive.
As a reminder, consider the experiences and values that shape you. Consider how you can clearly explain how you developed those values. You may choose to reflect on just about anything, from experiences with family, friends, education, to adventures in foreign cities or your hometown, or perhaps a personal struggle that you’ve overcome– our values take root in an infinite number of ways.
Spend some time revising. After the drafting phase, good writers lay their work to rest and return a short time later with a renewed sense of clarity and excitement. We encourage you to do the same.
Recognition & Awards
In an effort to recognize stand-out submissions in our First-Year Writing Project, we will select the top 3 essays/projects submitted by the incoming class and showcase them at Convocation. Stand-out submissions will be recognized with prizes from the Provost. Submissions are due by midnight 8/1/18. Late submissions are not accepted.
- First Place: $250
- Second Place: $150
- Third Place: $100
Good luck writers, and welcome to the Corsair Community!
Email Submissions To:
- ProvostEssayContest@gmail.com as a Google Doc or in Microsoft Word (NO TextEdit, Pages or Pdf please)
- Redact your name from your essay (in the file name and the essay itself); submissions are evaluated anonymously
- Email subject line: your name, title of essay
- In the body of the email, please identify your preferred email contact and your full name